Our Values: Compassionate | Aspirational | Resourceful | Excellent

When we are closed

When we are closed, there are still places where you can go for help.

HCA check up

Emergency Contraception (EC) 

 Emergency Contraception is also available from:

  • WestCall  - a GP out of hours service which can be reached by calling 111 and asking for them.
  • Pharmacies- Most pharmacies will be able to issue EC for a fee and some pharmacists are able to issue EC to women under the age of 25 for no cost.  See www.safesexberkshire.nhs.uk for up to date details.
  • Your GP
  • Minor Injury Units - the nearest ones to the hospital are at:-  
    • West Berks Community Hospital, London Road, Thatcham, RG19 3AS
      • 8am to 10pm, 7 days a week
    • Bracknell Urgent Care Centre. Royal Berkshire Bracknell Healthspace, London Road, Bracknell, RG12 9BG
      • 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week
  • Walk-In Centre - the nearest one to the hospital is in Broad Street Mall, Reading – Open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week
  • Emergency Department (A&E) - at Royal Berkshire Hospital, but you may be redirected to another local service if they are busy.


Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)

PEP is a course of anti-HIV medication that must be started as soon as possible after you’ve been exposed to HIV, ideally within a few hours. 

PEP is also available from the Emergency Department (A&E).

If you think you have been at risk of an HIV exposure then you might be eligible for PEP.  This is a month-long course of HIV drugs that someone takes very soon after sex which had a risk of HIV transmission.  The drugs are the same ones taken by people with HIV.  The sooner PEP is started, the more likely it is to work; within 24 hours is best, but no later than 72 hours (3 days).  After 72 hours PEP is unlikely to work.

PEP is available from the clinic during our opening times.  If we are closed then DON'T DELAY, go to A&E for assessment as the sooner you start to take the medication, the better chance you have of preventing HIV.

Following an Assault

If you've been sexually assaulted there are services that can help. You don’t have to report the assault to police if you don’t want to. Other services and organisations won’t insist that you do. However, consider getting medical help as soon as possible because you may need to consider Emergency Contraception and PEP in certain situations.

The Sexual Assault Referral Centre (SARC) – is a service based in Slough for forensic examinations (even if you haven’t reported the incident to the police).

For more help or advice, click here. 


Other issues

For any other urgent issue we suggest you start with your GP or WestCall (GP out of hours service). Please call 111 to access WestCall for medical advice.

Useful contacts

Out of hours WestCall: 111



    Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust,
    London Road,
    RG1 5AN
    Email us
    Tel: 0118 322 5111
  • Copyright 2014
  • Site build: Generate UK
  • ip: