Pulmonary Rehabilitation - information for Health Professionals
- A diagnosis of chronic lung condition
- MRC dyspnoea scale: 3 or more (see below)
- On optimal therapy as per NICE guidelines.
- Stable or well controlled cardiac disease
- Awareness of commitment and motivation required for programme
- Ability to partake in group exercise and education sessions
- Poorly controlled angina on minimal exertion
- MI in last 6 weeks
- Breathlessness as a result of cardiac disease
- Uncontrolled hypertension
- Any medical problem that severely restricts exercise or compliance with the programme e.g. severe arthritis or dementia
MRC Dyspnoea Scale
- I only get breathless with strenuous exercise.
- I get short of breath when hurrying on the level or walking up a slight hill.
- I walk slower than people of the same age on the level because of my breathlessness, or I have to stop for breath when walking at my own pace on the level.
- I stop for breath after walking about 100 yards or after a few minutes on the level.
- I am too breathless to leave the house or I am breathless when dressing or undressing.
Click here for our referral form
- MRC dyspnoea scale
- Incremental shuttle walk
PR Lead at RBH: Laura Cornish- Inpatient therapies level 1 North block. 0118 322 5339.