Welcome to Eye Casualty
Eye Casualty is for eye accidents and emergencies that have occurred in the last 48 hours.
Any conditions that have been ongoing for a long time need to be discussed with your GP. Some GPs are able to refer their patients to community eye doctors, where you can have a booked appointment closer to home.
If you think you have a minor eye problem (such as conjunctivitis or styes), or a query, please consider discussing the matter with your GP, pharmacist or community optician.
Please attend Eye Casualty urgently if you have any of the following:
- Chemical liquids splashed into the eye. Remember your first aid treatment: flush your eye with plenty of lukewarm water;
- Cuts or lacerations to the eye lids;
- Penetrating eye injury;
- Sudden, painful eye causing sickness and feeling unwell;
- A red, painful eye after surgery;
- Rapid loss of vision following corneal graft surgery;
- Shadow/curtain across vision, increase in flashing lights/floaters;
- Red, painful eye associated with contact lens wear;
- Sudden painless loss of vision;
- If you are a regular patient of ours and you are concerned about your eye.
If you attend eye casualty, please avoid driving as we will potentially need to dilate your pupils, which will blur your vision for several hours. Also please be mindful this is an emergency service and, as such, you can experience long waiting times.
Please allow plenty of time when visiting us.
The department is open between 09:00 am and 17:00 pm, Monday to Friday and from 09:00 am - 12:30 pm at the weekend and bank holidays.
We are closed on Christmas and New Year's Day.
Out of these hours please visit the Emergency department for urgent eye treatment or contact the Emergency department on 0118 322 7019.
For GPs looking for advice, please ring switchboard and request to be connected to the Ophthalmology GP trainee.
To get to Eye Casualty, if you park in the multi-storey exit via level 2, main reception. Follow the signs for 'all wards and departments' and take a right at the welcome desk, eye casualty is on your immediate left.